Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Mis Problemas con los Bancos

Changing money has been a complete disaster. Before I left Houston, I figured that it would be easier to change my money from American dollars to Euros rather than withdraw money from the ATM, that way I could avoid the ATM conversion charges. Apparently I was wrong. Every single cafe, club, bar, and store in Valladolid likes to be paid in cash. This becomes a bit of a problem when the banks hate you.

In between my two classes on Monday, I went to the bank right across the street. I waited in like for 30 minutes while two people took forever to figure out their financial problems with the one bank teller working. Once I got up to the counter, I told her exactly why I was there, and she nodded. Unfortunately, when I pulled out my money, she just looked at me and told me she couldn’t do it. When I asked why not, she just gave me an ugly look and told me to find another bank. When I pressed her for more information, she gave in and said to try the one in Plaza Mayor. So I decided that after my classes I would take the 10 minute walk to the Plaza to exchange my money.

Did I mention there are five banks in the Plaza Mayor, each with a different Spanish name? After looking at all of them, they are all closed for the siesta and won’t open until the next morning. What bank closes at 2:30 and doesn’t reopen later?

I tried to go again Tuesday morning in between my two classes again, but encountered yet another problem. I found the “right” bank that would change my money for me. I walked up to the counter and handed the teller my money, and he says he can change it for me. We go through the process of counting it and determining the amount of Euros it converts to, until he asks me for my passport. I don’t carry the real one with me, so I handed him my copy, but that wasn’t good enough. I tried to give him my US drivers license but he didn’t like that yet again, so he handed my money and told me to come back with my passport. Why is it so necessary to have my passport to change money? I’ve never heard of that!

On my third time to the bank, today, I finally had success. I have been cashless for three days and it’s way more difficult than I ever imagined! Now all is well!

3 comments:

  1. ha ha ha hope you dont have to much trouble any more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you fluent yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca Von GontenJuly 9, 2011 at 9:14 AM

    I'm glad you have cash. Hope you are having fun! Post some pictures if you can. Sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete